Many patients put off dental procedures because they assume their insurance will not cover it, especially cosmetic procedures. Dental implants are a restorative treatment that preserves oral health in addition to improving your appearance, so you might wonder if dental insurance will cover dental implants. Esthetic Dental Solutions is an Alpharetta, GA dental office offering dental implants and can help you determine whether your insurance will cover this important procedure.
How Does Dental Insurance Work?
Anyone who is missing teeth and has heard about the benefits of dental implants knows that this procedure is more than just cosmetic. Unfortunately, many insurance companies consider implants to be a cosmetic, and therefore not medically necessary, procedure. However, because of its health benefits to your smile, you may be able to use a combination of medical and dental insurance to cover a portion of your dental implants procedure.
Here are some questions to answer by looking at your insurance brochure or directly with the insurance company:
- Does the plan cover implants?
- What percentage of the procedure does the policy cover?
- What is my annual maximum out-of-pocket cost?
- Do I need a referral before receiving dental implants?
Our staff will be able to work directly with the insurance company to determine your coverage based on the treatment plan.
Will My Dental Insurance Cover Dental Implants?
A full dental implant treatment has multiple phases, which gives you an opportunity to plan for the cost and work with the insurance company on coverage. Let’s take a look at the different phases of implants treatment so you know what to expect.
- Tooth extraction: Most insurance plans cover the tooth extraction because it is often medically necessary to prevent infection or relieve pain. If you are already missing teeth and won’t need an extraction, you will not have to budget for this.
- Bone grafting: Depending on how long it has been since you lost teeth and the structure of your jaw bone, you may need bone grafting before the implant is placed. This strengthens the jaw to ensure a secure implant.
- Implant placement: Some plans cover portions of “major” procedures, which is a term for the expense, not necessarily the intensity of treatment. Your dental insurance may cover a portion of the implant placement.
- Crown installation: The artificial tooth that provides the appearance and functionality of natural teeth is also considered a major procedure. Some plans consider this the same as crowning a natural tooth and may cover more of the cost, so check directly with your insurance company.
Alpharetta GA Dental Implants
We understand that working with insurance and a budget can get confusing. Our Esthetic Dental Solutions staff will work with you and your insurance company to offer you the best treatment based on your needs and budget — and a long-lasting smile. Schedule a consultation online or call 678-228-8589 today to get started on your treatment plan to a better smile.